XIII GRULAC Soccer Championship
On Saturday, August 24th 2013 the “XIII GRULAC Soccer Championship” took place at LC de Villiers Sports Grounds at the University of Pretoria.
It was an exciting tournament with teams from 14 public primary schools from around Gauteng and Mpumalanga showing off their skills. Kicking off at 09h00, thirty-five matches were played on the day. Each school represented The Group of Latin American and Caribbean Embassies (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Panama, Peru, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay and Venezuela), and Portugal and Italy.
The Embassies were represented as follows:
- Argentina by Lowe Primary School
- Brazil by Budmbele Primary School
- Colombia by Morula Primary School
- Chile by Ezati Primary School
- Ecuador by Nantes Primary School
- Mexico by Fred Magardi Primary School
- Panama by Fourie Primary School
- Peru by San Martín de Porres Primary School
- Suriname by Khensani Primary School
- Trinidad and Tobago by Kgabo Primary School
- Uruguay by Hamilton Primary School
- Venezuela by Mahlasedi Primary School
- Portugal by Northridge Primary School
- Italy by Pholoso Primary School
Mexico and Panama met in the final with Mexico emerging victorious after a draw led to a penalty shootout.
Every player from the participant school received a soccer kit consisting of a jersey, shorts and socks of the country they represent, as well as a medal and a certificate of participation.
The objective of this annual Championship is to endorse the development of South African youth and to improve the sports, educational and cultural links between the people of South Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean, Portugal and Italy.
Each Embassy has maintained an active educational and cultural link with its respective representative school over the past years.