Philippines and South Africa - Beyond Boarders
(From L-R): Dean of the School of Business, Mr Ramon Mañalac, Ambassador Agnes Nyamande-Pitso and Professor Aries Gamboa
Ambassador Agnes Nyamande-Pitso was invited as guest speaker at the St Scholastica’s School of Business to address about 200 Business and International Relations college students on 23 January 2013. The Business Forum Talk was titled “Philippines and South Africa – Beyond Boarders’.
The introduction was beautifully set by the Dean of the School of Business, Mr Ramon Mañalac, who showed a video of his visit to South Africa highlighting the beautiful Cape Point and his close encounter with the great white shark during a cage dive in Cape Town.
After the video presentation it was apparent that the Ambassador was addressing the converted, who already appreciated the beauty of South Africa but were left wondering how best the two countries can enhance their relations and how they in turn can become Ambassadors of their own country.
South African Ambassador Agnes Nyamande-Pitso flanked by St. Scholastica’s College students
After the Ambassador’s speech came the highlight of the talk which was the interaction with the students. They asked various questions, some of which related to:
• How benefits can be created for the Filipinos through trading between the two countries;
• How other African countries, not represented in the PH, can benefit from enhanced relations between the two countries;
• How trading with South Africa opens up doors for the rest of the African market;
• How PH entrepreneurs and innovators can benefit from such a cooperation;
• What traits an Ambassador should have or acquire;
• What the job of an Ambassador entails; and
• How one can become an Ambassador.
After one and a half hours of engaging with the students, the Ambassador gave advice to students who aspired to become diplomats and emphasized the need to acquire, amongst others, communication skills for the efficient execution of the job.
SA Embassy Manila, Philippines