On Saturday, August 25th 2012 the “XII GRULAC Soccer Championship” took place at the University of Pretoria – LC de Villiers Sports Grounds.
Thirty-eight matches were played on the day by 15 public primary school teams from around Gauteng and Mpumalanga who represented The Group of Latin American and Caribbean Embassies (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Jamaica, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay and Venezuela), and Spain.
San Martín de Porres Primary School representing Peru emerged victorious.
The Embassies were represented as follows:
• Argentina by Lowe Primary School
• Brazil by Budmbele Primary School
• Colombia by Morula Primary School
• Chile by Ezati Primary School
• Ecuador by Nantes Primary School
• Jamaica by Sinetjhudu Primary School
• Mexico by Jakaranda Primary School
• Panama by Fourie Primary School
• Paraguay by Waterkloof Primary School
• Peru by San Martín de Porres Primary School
• Suriname by Khensani Primary School
• Trinidad and Tobago by Kgabo Primary School
• Uruguay by Hamilton Primary School
• Venezuela by Mahlasedi Primary School
• Spain by Parish Daniel Comboni
Every player from the participant school received a soccer kit consisting of a jersey, shorts and socks of the country they represent, as well as a medal and a certificate of participation.
The objective of this Championship is to endorse the development of South African youth and to improve the sports, educational and cultural links between the people of South Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean and Spain.