STATEMENT ON THE ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE FUNERAL AND MEMORIAL SERVICE OF THE MINISTER OF PUBLIC SERVICE AND ADMINISTRATION, MR OHM COLLINS CHABANE
On Sunday 15 March 2015, the country woke up to the tragic news of the passing on of the Minister of Public Service and Administration Mr Ohm Collins Chabane. He died in a car accident together with his two Protectors, Sergeant Lawrence Lentsoane and Sergeant Lesiba Sekele. Their funeral arrangements are handled by the South African Police Services (SAPS) as they died in the line of duty.
The Inter- Ministerial Committee on State Funerals, met today, Tuesday 17th March in Cape Town to prepare for the Official funeral of the late Minister Chabane.
• Funeral Status: Minister Chabane will be accorded an Official Funeral Category 1, which is the status afforded to serving Ministers, Speaker of the National Assembly, Chief Justice of the Republic of South Africa , Chairperson of the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) and Premiers of Provinces. In line with this category, the President has ordered that the National Flags be flown at half-mast at all flag posts in the Republic on Saturday 21 March 2015, the day of the funeral.
• Memorial Services: The venue for the memorial service will no longer be at the City Hall as originally announced. The memorial service will now take place on Thursday, 19th March 2015 from 12:00 midday. The service will take place at the Tshwane Events Centre (formerly known as Pretoria Show Grounds), 205 Soutter Street, Pretoria. Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa will deliver the keynote address.
• Funeral: The funeral will take place on Saturday 21st March 2015 at Minister Chabane’s home village Xikundu, Thulamela Municipality in the Vhembe District, Limpopo. The Funeral service will commence at 9:00am. His Excellency President Jacob Zuma will deliver the oration.
• Media Accreditation: Members of the media are invited to apply for their accreditation using these contact details
or 082 440 5656. Tshegofatso Modubu 083 276 0786. DOC/GCIS will facilitate the issuing of Media accreditations. Members of the media are requested to bring their Identity Document (ID) or Press Card to collect their accreditation.
• Condolences Books: Members of the public are invited to write their messages to the Chabane Family at the identified venues:
1. Tynhuis Parliament,
2. Union Building, Pretoria;
3. DOC/GCIS Office; 1035 Francis Baard Str; Hatfield;
4. Offices of Department of Public Service and Administration, 116 Johannes Ramokhoase (formerly known as Proes Str)
5. School of Government (formerly known as Palama) , ZK Matthews Building, 70 Meintje Str, Sunnyside
6. The Office of the Premier in Limpopo.